How can computer-based modelling help optimise the integration of renewable energy?
Soner is research assistant and PhD student at the Technical University Munich. He conducts research on possible future energy systems and looks at ways of optimizing the transition towards renewable energy sources.
Faculty: School of Engineering and Design
Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Thomas Hamacher
Dissertation title (as for now :D)
Development of a communal energy planning tool with multi-scale coupling
Topic – in brief
- Optimization of renewable energy systems: How can different renewable energy source, like solar and wind energy, and storage technologies, like batteries, be organized and used in the most efficient way?
- Germany aims at a carbon neutral energy system until 2045
- Given the weather-dependency of many renewable energy sources, storage and management solutions become ever more important, when it comes to making demand and supply meet in cost-effective ways.
- How can optimal configurations of all technologies look like, e.g. on a country level?
- Optimization-based modelling
- Top-down modelling approach: imaginary social planner with total control of energy system i.e. the planner can decide on optimal configuration
Projects Soner has been involved in
- Patterns behind private PV installations in Germany and Italy. What are the driving factors? Are decisions purely economic or do social effects such as peer pressure play a role?
- Model comparison. There are several models in Europe that model possible transformation pathways of energy systems under varying assumptions. Comparing them reveals sensitivities and potential draw-backs of each model
- Renewable heating systems in Bavaria. What should happen on the communal level to decarbonize the heating system?
Other tasks Soner is involved in
Co-authored publication with one of his students:
- The rewarding feeling of teaching
- The importance and advantages of active time management and pickiness, when it comes to filling the time one has. Be mindful about your time!
Related studies, if you would like to learn more!
Wie der deutsche Stromsektor bis zum Jahr 2035 klimaneutral werden kann
Energietage – annual event (Soner mentioned it)
IEA graph of pv installations
If you would like to connect with Soner:
LinkedIn: Soner Candas
You have a question about the podcast in general or this episode in particular? Please feel free to write a PM or comment below the post of this episode on instagram!